Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2017

Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge Review

Digital-Ranger here doing a special movie review because today is MY 21ST BIRTHDAY... WAIT it's the 1st of May...DAMN IT MY INTRO IS RUINED! By the time you are reading this I am probably so drunk I won't be waking up until Tuesday night (Actually that's a lie I hate the smell of Acholhog in general, and I know that smell because a lot of my family are drinkers). So in honor of my birthday of my 21st birthday, I decided to review something that (will not get you Drunk (debatably) but something that I really like to celebrate this occasion A Dragon Ball Z movie, Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge!

Ah Yes Dragon Ball Z, this truly is the first time I brought up Dragon Ball on this blog (and only took me 4 years to do so). My experiences with Dragon Ball Z was the best things I ever saw as a kid, as an adult I can respect this series more than just action (although Super still doesn't have any interests in watching Super). And I will probably never talk about the series on this blog because other people are more experience in Dragon Ball then I ever can like Blackenfist, Qaaman's Land, MistareFusion they handle Dragon Ball related content that only I could dream of.

For me I quite enjoy almost every Dragon Ball Z movie that there is and would gladly take them over series that get constant 1 off movies like the Pokemon Movies (most of them put me to sleep) and definitely most of the Digimon movies (I love Digimon to death but the Digimon movies believe it or not make me frustrated). The reason why I chose the cooler movies is because NOSTALGIA MOSTLY I saw this movie a lot growing up. But after rewatching this movie again I find more enjoyment then I thought I would.


The movie begins with a recap of Goku's Dad Bardock fighting against Frieza as Frieza kills off the Saiyan race and Goku is the only one left alive, off into the distance we see the movie exclusive villain Cooler the older Brother of Frieza. Cooler while only being a movie exclusive villains in anime movie is a pretty awesome villain. I will, of course, explain later on why he is such a good villain but for now, I will focus on the review at hand. He sees the baby Goku and instead of killing him he doesn't bother because it’s his brother's problem, not this will surely not bite him in the ass later.


Years latter Cooler finds out that his younger Brother Frieza was killed by a Super Saiyan Goku and sets a course to kill Goku and restore honor to his family. Although hasn't he heard anything on his Father and how a Saiyan killed him? He hasn’t oh… OK THEN! On Earth Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Oolong, and even Gohan's pet Dragon Icarus are all camping out (this is the last movie that Icarus appears in BTW) when all of a sudden Coolers Armor Squad arrives to get Goku. Cooler just like his just like his younger Brother Frieza have his own NOT Super Sentai Squad and are named after food puns. The Blue-Skinned alien is Sala a pun on thousand island Dressing, Dore the green, not hulk guy is Sara pun on salad dressing, and finally, the brown buggy looking alien is Nesi a pun on mayonnaise (a creamy egg yolk dressing).


Coolers Armor Squad is on par with Goku, well that is until Cooler shows up with Goku mistaking him for the dead Frieza. Gohan arrives but only to get in the way because Cooler uses his eye beams that Goku intercept leaving Goku badly injured and Cooler never using his eye beams again after this fight and those eye beams could have had come in real handy later on in the film.



Cooler in a smart act demands his Armor Squad to get Goku because he knows Goku is not dead from his laser eye beam attack. So his Armor Squad just decides to destroy the forest in order to find Goku turning the forest into nothing more than a desolate wasteland. Since Goku was hit by Cooler Laser Eye Beams he’s unable to do anything so now it’s up to Gohan, Krillin, Oolong, and Icarus to do something to fight off Cooler. You would think that they are all doomed for but no because they can just go and get some Deus Ex Machina Beans or Senzu Beans. There was a time where the Senzu Beans just refiled a man’s hunger before they revealed you to physical health you know… JUST SAIYAN!


Gohan and Icarus go to get the beans from Korin and Yajirobe and when they do Icarus feels tired so Gohan gives him a Senzu bean which makes Icarus go faster but by doing that Colors Armor Squad finds Gohan. I bring this up because when Icarus speed up before he wasn’t caught... But he does it again and he is caught, even though all a Senzu bean does do is reveal your energy and gives you no additional power up a boost, you see the problem here right or is it just me? It looks like Gohan is done for BUT THEN Piccolo arrives saving Gohan and is here to Kick Ass and chew bubblegum, and he’s all out of bubblegum. YEAH, Piccolo was my favorite character and me seeing him basically him defeating all of Coolers Armor Squad is so satisfying to see for me personally. Piccolo even got to use his stretchy arm powers which are more useful than you might thing like you know getting Gohan in a case of danger although piccolo (that always bugged me in the Saiyan Saga). Although not even Piccolo is not matched for Cooler as Cooler defeats Piccolo with ease.


Just as Gohan gives The Senzu Beans to Goku the beans are destroyed except for 1 Gohan had from Yajirobe, so now Goku is back to peak physical condition. Cooler properly introduces himself to Goku and now both of them have 1 on 1 battle it’s a pretty even match for one another that is but cooler has an edge, he has a 4th transformation that lets him go further beyond. Cooler's 4th form is pretty Damn Badass with spikes, blue translucent parts on his body, and just being more massive looking, Cooler looks like some demon looking monster in this form. He already looked cool but here he is just badass, he even has a visor I would love how that organically works but never the less this form is still awesome.

In this new form, Cooler is just a giant curb stomp to worse Goku and defeating him every chance he get’s. For the longest time, I always wonder why I like the fight between the 2  but I think I know why that is now. You see the whole fight Goku is using his Kai attacks while Cooler is using just pure straight alone. The animation also helps with this as some shots present Cooler’s punches and kick with so much force and energy it’s pretty damn affected every punch on screen. ALSO, he even goes into Goku’s Kamehameha blast and just punches Goku in the face which is pretty COOLER! OK, that is the only time I will make that joke I SWEAR!

It looks like Cooler has won but that’s not going to stop Goku as he goes Super Saiyan (this was when Super Saiyan was still something new and awesome and before everyone and their grandmother could do it) and even review a bird. Yeah, that’s the more infamous moment of the movie where Goku Brings a bird back to life like Jesus Christ. I also found it weird how also Goku was resurrected in a cave when he got fully healed, then again also while not being Jesus related but Goku made the water rise like how Moses did for the Hebrews traveling to Egypt, maybe I should have had review this during Easter with all of this Christianity Imagery?


Now that Goku is a Super Saiyan Cooler decided screw it with his that giant death ball which he thinks Goku is Defeated and starts monologuing like an actual movie bad guy. BUT Goku uses his Kamehameha to finishes off Cooler and send him to the sun where I assume he probably sees the Phoenix Phantom from Kamen Rider Wizard. In Cooler's final thoughts he now realizes that Goku is the same child he let get away all those years ago and it is his fault he is now dead. So the movie ends with Sala still alive but is thusly killed off by Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon and drinking water LIKE A BOSS!

Overall Dragonball Z: Cooler's Revenge is a
4/5
I really like this movie as you could tell.

Cooler is a badass villain Compared to his younger brother He’s more intellectual, stern, and his Ego isn't like Frieza, on Paper this would sound like a horrible idea making him a boring evil villain for evil sake. However, it works through Coolers personality and actions Cooler is a menacing villain. What’s more impressive is also he is pretty smart, always going 1 step further to ensure his victory. Although near the end with his new form he does begin to act just like a 1 off anime movie villain with him proclaiming that he will be destroyed because he says so, which is a damn shame really. but other than that he was a blast to see in the movie.

Piccolo was a badass and awesome as always, Goku being paralyzed for most of the movie was a good movie on the writers with Goku being overpowered at this point in the Dragon Ball Story. The fights and animation are pretty good for the time it was made in.

Now Don’t get me wrong there are flaws like why didn’t Cooler use his Laser eye beams more because it could cripple Goku like it did before? Or how did Coolers Armor squad find Icarus even though it didn’t before? While there may be problems with the story for me there is too much good in this movie I can look over and I can still find so much enjoyment from this movie and it’s not just nostalgia talking.



Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler
YEAH doing a double feature here because I there was so little to talk about in the 2nd movie Return of Cooler which is also why I did not do a blog post last week. like this movie is so short for me to talk about I can summarize the whole movie in a sentence.

Goku and company are traveling to the Plant New Name when all of a sudden they see this giant robotic alien life form which turns out to be a Robotic Cooler, so they fight Cooler and win.

Yeah, there is not a lot to talk about here and the answer for that is because most of the movie is full of fight scenes between Goku, Cooler, the others, and Cooler's robot minions. Although while it has nothing but the action. To give you a perspective of what I mean the total amount of action in the movie begins from 15:52- 41:45 meaning that there is nothing but 26: 9 seconds fighting!

Now just because there is nothing but action in this movie doesn't mean I hate it I quite enjoyed this movie as well. I like this movie as much as I like Digimon Saver movie in the same way. I still enjoy watching this movie even if it is nothing but action and I also give this movie a 4/5.

Although me saying I only like the fighting in Dragon Ball means I am a uncultured swine that only like things that have pretty flashy pictures, and to that I say I don't like Kyuranger which means I have some culture to me. But speaking of Sentai next time I will finally give out a proper Series Review Gekisou Sentai Carranger!

Come back for updates, Like me on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter, Subscribe to the Otaku-Sentai Digirangers Youtube Channel, And have a nice day

No comments:

Post a Comment